Friday, May 7, 2010

Oh what a difference a day makes!

Begin Hell Week...

Monday, the day when all our new students come in to take their placement exam and get the info they need for starting classes at our institute, wasn't as bad as I had originally anticipated, actually got to leave around 3:30 and didn't encounter too much drama or stupid people. Rajanee and I went and ate Sushi (my favorite thing) and a had a good time together.

Tuesday was an awesome day (other than a little rain). I worked long and hard, but for some reason it didn't bother me. I went and picked out Mother's day cards, which seemed like it took forever, but I enjoyed it. An email of a lovely house made me happy and may become my new home.

Fast forward to Wednesday afternoon...ALL hell breaks loose and it was enough for the entire week! This was registration day for the students and surprisingly that is not where the drama was. We didn't get as many students as I thought we would, so it was a pretty serene day considering previous semesters. So, as the day is winding down and the students are leaving, I decide it is a good time to do some of the work I couldn't do in the morning. I have an excel file that is shared between myself and my supervisor, it contains all the information about incoming students' applications and all the processes involved. It is housed on a server that is run by the University (apparently). Somehow the damn thing crashed while neither of us was even in it! I was also unable to get into my grade database and now nobody in the department can either. Everybody is freaking out! Now, comes the real phone was plugged into the computer at the same time and whatever happened fried my memory card. I tried everything I knew of to retrieve the data, but nothing worked. I finally realized that the only thing I could do was to reformat the card, and even that was a task. I tried three different ways, multiple times and two hours later it finally worked, but I lost EVERTHING! I had to reinstall all my applications, data and try to remember the notes and writings I had saved. I am still not even half way done with the restoration. But, I tried not to let it get me down. I ate some subway, took a bath and went to bed.

Thursday brought a new day and a new sense of optimism came with it. It was so funny that we now have an administrative block on our computers at work and nobody can download anything without getting our IT department's approval. It doesn't affect me in the slightest. Sucks to be them, but I'm alright. I went to parent/teacher conference and Rajanee was happy, because she now has her cellphone back.

Friday is here and I am ready for the weekend! Happy Mother's Day to all the lovely moms who have touched my life in so many ways. Thank you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment